Caros amigos Geocachers,
Para aqueles que ainda não conhecem a história mineira de S. Domingos, acrescento um texto que irá fazer parte de um trabalho científico para publicação o qual peço-vos que leiam mas não copiem para outras fontes.
Mining in the São Domingos area is known to have started before the Roman colonisation of the Iberian Peninsula that took place in approximately 218 BC and the mining history of São Domingos can be divided into three distinct mining periods.
The first, attributed to the Phoenicians and Carthaginians in the Calcolithic (copper age) period, which began 4300 ago, is perhaps the least known. Archaeological finds of three polished stone axes, similar to ones found in Rio Tinto (Spain), indicate the presence of pre-Roman mining activities at São Domingos.
The second mining period is clearly attributed to the Romans who intensified the production of copper on a large scale. Thirty-nine Roman coins depicting emperors from Augustus (27 BC to 14 AD) to Theodosius (379-395 AD) were found on site attesting to the Roman presence. Mining activities are deemed to have lasted 385 years, from 12 to 397 AD. The main reason that the Romans established themselves in a so desert-like region that offered few possibilities of arable and livestock farming, was not for the extraction of copper, already intensely explored in other zones of the Empire, since the Roman economy did not have large requirements for copper but rather for gold and silver.
In the 1850’s, Victor Ernest Deligny, then technical manager of the Tharsis and Calañas Mines, amongst others, ordered that Nicolas Biava carry out exploration in the “Santo Domingos area”. In 16 June 1854, the Municipality of Mértola received a concession request by Biava for the São Domingos area that was subsequently granted. He later transferred his concession to Deligny, who in 1855, created La Sabina Mining Company with Spanish and French capital with a concession area of 798 km2. Later, in January 1959, Mason & Barry, with their headquarters in London, lease the concession from La Sabina following economic interests favourable to both parties and a process of industrialised mining at São Domingos takes off on its third and final period.
Between 1859 and 1867 mining operations consisted of underground operations by prolonging the existing shafts, haulages, drives and stopes using the relic infrastructures found on site. Average grades of 3% Cu and 50% S were mined in this period and the pyrite was shipped to England, via the Pomarão Harbour where, through ustulation (a process that causes the loss of volatile components) for the manufacture of sulphuric acid, the copper was extracted. Heavy maritime traffic at the Pomarão Harbour, 18 km south of the mine, and lower metal prices, prompted (James) Mason to build a treatment plant to process poorer ore at Achada do Gamo. From 1868 till its closure in 1966, due to exhaustion of the ore, São Domingos continued as an open cast exploration.
At São Domingos and later at Achada do Gamo, the ore was treated in several ways. It is known that until 1887, of the 4 Mt of ore extracted from the mine, 334 575 t were transported to Achada do Gamo, 378 320 t of washed ore and 85046 t of copper cement were exported.
It is calculated that all the periods of mining resulted in the production of 25 Mt, and mine waste material in the area is estimated at several hundred thousand tons. In this context, important environmental problems are associated, which are visible within an area around 50km2.
Aconselho a leitura da seguinte Bibliografia:
Custódio, J (1996a ) James Mason e a construção da imagem da Mina de S. Domingos. In: Rego M (ed) Mineração no Baixo Alentejo, Câmara Municipal de Castro Verde, p198-229.
Custódio, J (1996b ) Sistemas de lavra na Mina de S. Domingos. In: Rego M (ed) Mineração no Baixo Alentejo, Câmara Municipal de Castro Verde, p174-185.
Custódio, J (2002 ) Os primórdios da mina (Estudo para servir de fundamento a uma reconstituição da arqueologia mineira da Serra de S. Domingos). In: Rego M, Nascimento, PJ (eds) Mineração no Baixo Alentejo (Vol II), Câmara Municipal de Castro Verde, p88-121.
Gaspar OC (1998 ) História da mineração dos depósitos de sulfuretos maciços vulcanogénicos da Faixa Piritosa Portuguesa. Boletim de Minas, 35/4: 401-414.
Quental L, Bourguignon A, Sousa AJ, Batista MJ, Brito MG, Tavares T, Abreu MM, Vairinho M, Cottard F (2002 ) MINEO Southern Europe environment test site Contamination /impact mapping and modelling – Final report, 131p.
Soeiro MAG (1998 ) Divulgação do património industrial da Mina de S. Domingos, relatório final de prova de aptidão profissional (Curso Técnico de Património Cultural, Gestão e Divulgação), 27p.
Num estudo geoquímico em que estou envolvido na Achada do Gamo, detectámos águas residuais com pH´s NEGATIVOS! Quem conhece a Achada, sabe que estas estão a 50m da Ribeira de S. Domingos. Como vêm, S. Domingos, devido aos métodos de exploração e mineração, tem graves problemas ambientais. Esses problemas têm que ser resolvidos mesmo que involva o sequestramento de algumas caches.
Outro estudo no qual estive envolvido, levantou e inventariou as minas abandonadas do país e as identificadas com a necessidade de uma intervenção rápida foram precisamente a escombreira da Mina de Jales (perto de V. Pouca de Aguiar)e a Mina de S. Domingos.
Na última, a intervenção proposta pela EXMIN e a CM de Mértola contemplava uma cerca à volta da corta (para evitar acidentes óbvios). Agora anotícia do Jornal indica uma cerca também na Achada que eu desconhecia. Mesmo assim, foi-nos dada a indicação que nos seria fornecida uma chave para podermos entrar e continuar os nossos estudos. Roam-se de inveja!

Em principio, a única cache em perigo poderia ser a da Achada e eu sugiro movê-la para as ruínas no Telheiro.

A CM de Mértola também está a estudar o local para a criação de um museu mineiro que envolveria a área toda desde a Mina de S. Domingos ao Pomarão, mas isso é outra história.....